Wednesday, April 9, 2014

A Day in the Life of a Payton Student

I wake up at 6:10 AM every day. I have to begin every day with a shower to wake up. After I get dressed and have oatmeal for breakfast, I pack my bag and make myself a mug of green tea to drink on the way to school. After a five minute wait just outside my house, I get on the #22 bus to go to school.

I usually get to school around 7:30 AM, so I have 30 minutes to talk with friends before school starts at 8. For the first class, everyone goes to a homeroom called an "advisory". During this 10 minute period, the teachers take attendance and make important announcements.

My first class of the day is usually Calculus; the Payton schedule is set up so that you only take four classes per day out of a total of eight, so you end up having each class every other day. In AP Calculus, we're currently mainly just reviewing for the AP test - an exam that takes place in early May.

After Calculus, I go to 20th Century History, where we just finished a unit on the Cold War and are now studying genocides. My next class of the day is AP English Language and Composition: a writing-intensive class that also has a May exam.

In the middle of the day, I have 45 minutes for lunch; I have to bring my lunch with me, or purchase one at school, because I am in 11th grade, but seniors (12th-graders) are allowed to leave school to buy lunch at local stores.

My last class of the day is AP US Government and Politics. The class is taught by the principal; it's centered around in-class discussion and case study, but we're now moving into review for our May exam.

The next day, I take AP Statistics, Biology, and Spanish III, and the cycle repeats itself.

After school, I go to water polo practice. I come home exhausted, eat dinner and do my homework, study for any tests I have later in the week, and go to bed around 11:00PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment